Monday, August 11, 2008

Week 5 Day 1

Today I started a five week unit on Human Resources Management. There are only 5 students in this class, so that's good. I'm not sure how much we will be able to do or really learn in this course, because S, the teacher, is having a lot of back pain and is unable to get any surgery appointment date earlier than Sept 12th. We are supposed to read the text book, chapter by chapter, and then discuss in class. If she's not up to teaching, we may just read the chapter and do the questions.

We also have a case study to do. A choice of doing research or doing an interview. Normally I would choose the research study in a second, but this time I am leaning towards doing the interview. For this, I need to interview a senior HR person in a company and get their view on qualifications and skills, processes of hiring, canadian law and so on. And then write a report and compare what they said with what the book says.

The other case study assignment we can do is to choose a topic (from a list of topics) to research and then write the report. Tbis report must be 8 to 10 pages. The interview assignment needs to be only 4 to 5 pages.

Yes this will mean less typing for me but thats not why I chose it. I really want to know what the real situation is out there in the world of Human Resources. That's why I chose the interview.

So first I have to create a list of good questions to ask. And then I need to arrange an interview.

So far from what I have read, I think I will enjoy this class very much. In fact I plan to enjoy all the classes - HR, Business Ethics, Business Law and Marketing.

No comments: